Tuesday 8 May 2012

~Istikhara -- Best Advice~
Jabir (radi Allahu anhu) stated: “As the
Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) taught us
the Quran, so also he instructed us to observe
Istikhara in every matter. The Prophet (sal
Allahu alaihi wa sallam) used to say, ‘When
anyone among you is perplexed over an
important matter, he should perform two
Rakahs of supererogatory (nafl) prayer and
then make this dua: O Allah, I ask You to show
me what is best through Your knowledge,
and bring it to pass through Your power, and
I ask You of Your immense favour; for You are
All-Powerful and I am not, You know and I do
not, and You are the Knower of the Unseen. O
Allah, if You know this matter to be better for
me in my religion, livelihood, and final
outcome, then bring it about and facilitate it
for me, and bless me with abundance therein.
And if You know this matter to be worse for
me in my religion, livelihood, and final
outcome, then keep it from me, and keep me
from it, and bring about the good for me
whatever it may be, and make me pleased
with it.’” [Sahih Bukhari]
Commentary: Istikhara means “to ask for
goodness and welfare.” Suppose you have
two job offers. Both are halal. Both are
comparable. Which one should you take? Only
Allah (subhana wa ta’ala) knows which will be
better for your Akhirah and Dunya, long-term
and short-term. There are so many hidden
factors that we cannot possibly know about.
So why not ask the One who does know and
is the Most Sincere for your welfare?
It is Sunnah (recommended) to pray two
Rakahs and then make the Istikhara dua.
However one may make the dua on its own,
or pray the two Rakahs alone with the
intention of seeking Allah’s guidance in the
matter. The two Rakahs may be prayed at any
time of day or night except for the forbidden
times of prayer. After you have sincerely
sought Allah’s guidance, then you simply
follow the course suggested to your heart or
that you find is made easy for you to do.
Rasul Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said:
“One who observes Istikhara is never
disappointed, and the one who takes counsel
is never put to shame; and the one who
observes economy does not have to depend
on others.” [Tabarani]
Commentary: There are many choices we
have to make all the time. Some obvious
important matters are those related to
marriage or employment. But there are other
matters that may appear to be small but could
have far reaching consequences. Only Allah
(subhana wa ta’ala) knows what is best for
you and He is willing to give the advice for
free. Whenever you are in doubt or perplexed
regarding what to do make Istikhara, consult
Allah and ask him what to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment